I am a Partner of the firm and head up Attwells’ Employment Law Department. I also regularly undertake work in the areas of civil litigation, data protection and company/commercial.
I advise employers, employees, independent contractors, businesses and individuals in contentious and non-contentious matters, regularly appearing in the Employment Tribunal.
A typical week for me would involve advising upon settlement agreements, negotiating exit packages, drafting claims and defences to the Employment Tribunal or County Court (such as those relating to unfair dismissal, discrimination, breach of contract etc.), contracts of employment, staff handbooks and other HR documentation, advising on grievance and disciplinary proceedings, TUPE transfers and poor performance/sickness absence and attending Tribunal.
Alongside my general offering, I specialise in advising those operating in a small handful of key sectors, including care, estate agency and IR35.
I have provided seminars on legal issues affecting the care sector to members of both Suffolk Care Association and Essex Care Association (whom Attwells are proud to Partner with), in addition to talks at a national level. I have also delivered talks across East Anglia and London to Estate Agents on key legal requirements for their business, in conjunction with NAEA Propertymark.
My clients value my tenacity, attention to detail, communication and negotiation skills, alongside my supportive approach to all of my client relationships.
Examples of my work:-
- Successfully defended claims for breach of contract, racial discrimination and harassment, obtaining an order for costs in the maximum sum of £20,000 against the Claimant, following a 5 day hearing in Central London.
- Achieved £100k+ settlement on behalf of a senior bank executive after just one letter to their employer.
- Provided employment law advice and support to a commercial client in connection with the largest corporate transaction undertaken by any firm in East Anglia in 2013 (£100m).
- Successfully defended a £90,000 Employment Tribunal Claim on behalf of a care provider, representing them at a 3 day final hearing, obtaining a costs order against the Claimant for £5,000.
- Represented one the largest independent estate agencies in the UK in the County Court in several breach of contract claims.
- Advised a national TV presenter under investigation by HMRC regarding IR35.
I offer an initial no obligation telephone consultation, alongside fixed fees. I also operate retainer packages with my employer clients allowing them to utilise me day in, day in out as their ‘in house adviser’.
- Employment Law
- Business Disputes
- Debt Recovery
- Estate Agency
Memberships: Employment Lawyers Association
- East Anglian Daily Times
- Caring Times
- Care Management Matters
- Ipswich Star
Manager or Supervisor: Will Oakes
Progression: I began my legal career at Attwells in 2009, starting as a Junior Paralegal, after graduating from the University of Essex in 2008 and completing my Legal Practice Course at Anglia Ruskin University the year after. I became the first person in my family to enter into further education.
I have since completed my training contract and qualified as a Solicitor. My career progression has continued at a pace thereafter with me becoming an Associate and Senior Associate soon after, culminating in my appointment as a Partner in early 2019.
I regularly deliver talks at Schools, Colleges and Universities on careers in law and am passionate about providing opportunities to young people who would otherwise miss out. I am proud of my work and continuing relationships with Philip Morant School, Colchester Sixth Form College, the University of Essex and Anglia Ruskin University in particular.
Hobbies and Interests: I enjoy keeping fit and spending time with friends and family.
Client Feedback: "Thank you for your support throughout. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you. You came with the highest recommendation from a colleague and rightly so. You work tirelessly and deserve every success."