Property Lawyer Apprenticeship - Next Step from A Levels
Minimum qualification requirements
- A Levels BBB ( or similar)
- GCSE C or 4 in Maths and English
You will have an induction and learn about the Firm.
For your first few months at Attwells, you will learn about the Firm as well as general office tasks. These may include
- Answering the phone or making calls
- Writing letters
- Using our case system, inputting data
- General administration
- Scanning and filing
- Dealing with incoming post
- Setting up files
Once you have got an idea of how our systems work you will progress in your journey to being a conveyancing assistant. You will assist conveyancers on their property files doing tasks as above as well as
- Corresponding with clients, agents, and lenders
- Drafting paperwork
- Chasing and progressing files
- Legal paperwork
- Registering properties
- Assisting fee earners on their cases, such as answering client questions, reviewing mortgages and searches
During this time you will also increase your legal knowledge by completing Level 3 with the Conveyancing Academy. The topics it covers are:
- Office and regulatory compliance modules
- The English legal system
- Practicing conveyancing induction module
- Practicing conveyancer fee-earning modules
- Professional conduct and accounts
This stage will take approximately one year.
Following completion of Step 3, you will begin to manage your own caseload that will gradually increase in difficulty and volume. You will continue to get a lot of support and supervision to develop your knowledge and skills. You will begin with a few sale files of your own and progress from that point. You will continue to do the steps above but also now:
- Review and report legal documents such as land registry titles and more complex legal documents
- Continue to make sure parties are updated on the progress of your files
- Be responsible for making sure the file continues to progress
- Learn more complex property transactions such as new build properties, leasehold properties, shared ownership properties, and using help to buy schemes.
- As you become more experienced you will try more complex files including leasehold, shared ownership, help to buy schemes and new build properties
During this time you will also complete Levels 4 and 6 of the Conveyancing Academy.
Level 4 includes
- English Legal System
- Law of Contract
- Land Law
- Understanding Accounting Procedures
- Standard Conveyancing Transactions
Level 6 includes
- Landlord and Tenant
- Managing Office and Client Accounts
- Conveyancing Law and Practice
This stage takes approximately 3 years.
On completion, you will be a Qualified Conveyancer under the CLC. For more information see https://www.clc-uk.org/.
You will manage your own full caseload with little supervision. You would have career opportunities to progress at Attwells to manage your own team or become an expert in a specific area. You may also want to be involved in networking and increasing the property department or changing the internal procedures. At Attwells you will have lots of opportunities to develop your strengths after qualification.