Graduate Vacation Scheme
Attwells Solicitors is committed to offering work experience to aspiring legal professionals.
We think the best way to learn about what it's really like to work at Attwells is by joining one of our vacation schemes. They are an opportunity for applicants to experience life in a young, forward thinking law firm.
The vacation scheme runs for two week periods and will help applicants develop the practical skills necessary for a career in law. Applicants will gain experience of sitting with lawyers, undertaking tasks which develop their intellectual and interpersonal skills and gain an understanding of the day to day deployment of the law, putting into practice experience from studies.
During the vacation placement, the successful applicant will acquire, develop and apply knowledge and skills relating to:
- The practical application of the law
- Professional communication
- Professional conduct
- Personal professional development
- Business/commercial awareness
- Planning and managing workload
- Organisational skills
- Working with others
What an applicant can expect to experience on the Vacation Scheme:
Whilst experiences are subject to the type of work that is available during an applicant’s two week period, Attwells will try to give practical experience of the following:
- Life as a solicitor in 3 different practice areas.
- Tasks to develop oral and written communication skills appropriate in a professional working environment
- Professional legal writing, e.g. letter writing, drafting of wills
- Working with others in a professional environment
- Interpersonal sensitivity
- How to prepare and undertake client interviews
- Professional legal research and application to a set of facts
- Time and workload management
- Organisational skills necessary to be a successful lawyer
- Information handling e.g. working with information, planning, attention to detail, drawing conclusions, problem solving
- Use of up to date legal software, including research and know-how tools.
- Attwells will try and give you some experience of attending Court and/or an Employment Tribunal, but this is subject to whether our lawyers are due to attend during the applicant’s vacation scheme.
- Applicants will be given a research task at the start of the placement and will be asked to undertake that research and give a presentation on their final day.
Attwells will ensure that applicants have a one on one discussion with a senior lawyer about career goals, aspirations and have an opportunity to ask any questions they may have about life as a lawyer.
Attwells can only consider applications from penultimate year law students, or those who have completed a law degree and/or the Legal Practice Course.
The Application and Key Dates
To apply for the vacation scheme, applicants are required to send a CV and covering letter to our HR Manager Emma Matthews at email@example.com. The application should be received at least one month before your preferred vacation scheme and Attwells ask that the applicant returns the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form available from our website.
An applicant’s covering letter should set out why they are interested in a vacation scheme with Attwells, any areas of law that particularly interest them and their preferred vacation scheme window.
The deadline is strict and any late applications unfortunately cannot be considered. The placement is unpaid.